5 Ways Start Aging Gracefully
As we age, we are constantly bombarded by friends, the media and society with all the things we can do to slow or hide the evidence of age. Age, or simply time, is a natural part of life and happens to everyone, and there is no way to change that – however, you can change how you age and the way you respond to it.
Keeping a positive mindset is key; as our bodies slow down we can take it as an opportunity to focus inwards and improve our health from the inside out.
1. Exercise To Maintain Muscle Mass
As we age, the adage “use it or lose it” becomes more relevant. Muscle mass shrinks, bones can become more brittle, and joints can become arthritic. It’s important to maintain muscle to support your bones and joints, and gentle daily resistance-based exercise is a great way to do just that. Here are a couple ideas to get you started:
Yoga is a perfect way to not only build muscle but improve flexibility. Join a local studio or play one of the countless free videos on Youtube. It is our recommendation that you seek a class with a yogi (teacher) that has certification in ‘medical’ yoga or similar. Having a knowledgeable instructor is priceless for this activity. Start slowly with beginner’s classes and work your way up as your stamina improves. Yoga will improve your strength and flexibility over time; this is a great adjunct to aging!
Walking and Swimming are great, low-impact ways to maintain your health. Walk around the block or join a local fitness center to use their treadmills. Swimming is an especially great way to ease into exercise, as floating in the water lifts weight from typical problem areas like your hips and back. Walking in waist or chest high water in a pool achieves both resistance and aerobic work for you. So put on your waterproof headphones, select a good podcast and go!
2. Maintain A Healthy Diet
It can sometimes be difficult to know which foods to eat, which foods not to eat, and how they work together to benefit your well-being. Pairing Calcium with Vitamin D, for example, helps the Calcium absorb better. Here are a few guidelines and tips you can use as you assess your dietary choices:
- Eat more fruits and vegetables by pairing at least one serving with every meal.
- Choose more lean protein instead of red meat; choose fish, beans, or chicken. Tofu is a great protein source.
- Eat healthy fats and avoid processed foods, refined sugars, and unhealthy fats. Generally, it is recommended to use oils instead of solid fats. Unsaturated fats like olive oil have amazing health benefits overall.
Start a supplement routine. The best way to absorb nutrients is through a balanced diet, but if you find that you are lacking in a few essential vitamins and minerals, taking a supplement is still a great way to make sure you’re getting everything you need for your body to stay healthy. Dr. Meredith Warner’s Multivitamin is designed to promote immune + orthopedic function by providing essential nutrients we commonly miss each day. She also added hemp with CBD for a powerful, safe, and natural anti-inflammatory component – to help you stay active without harmful joint or muscle inflammation. SHOP NOW
3. Get Enough Sleep
Getting quality sleep is essential for maintaining both your physical and mental health. During sleep is when your body repairs itself, stores away memories, and it also plays a role in your skin’s health as well. The brain can detox best during sleep. You should aim for about seven to eight hours of sleep each night. Here are some things that quality sleep gives you:
- Lowers the risk of heart disease and stroke
- Reduces stress and fights depression + anxiety
- Reduces inflammation
improves focus and concentration
- Helps with weight loss and maintaining a healthy weight
4. Prioritize Your Mental Health
Often, mental health goes unnoticed until there is an issue. Don’t wait for stress, depression, or anxiety to strike before taking steps to improve your mental health. Maintaining your emotional well-being is essential for aging gracefully. There is a deep and strong connection between mind and body that is only now being recognized fully in western medicine.
Stress can physically impact your body in many ways – promoting premature aging and wrinkles, to causing higher risk of heart disease. Stress and anxiety are directly linked to pain as well. Here are a few steps you can take to relieve stress:
- Getting adequate sleep, as mentioned previously, can do wonders for both your physical and emotional health. Prioritize your sleep and your well-being will improve!
- Use relaxation techniques like meditation, yoga, or breathing exercises. Mindfulness definitely reduces anxiety and stress.
- Regular exercise is also a great way to both relieve stress and improve your physical health. New data has shown specifically that short bursts of highly intense exercise can do wonders for the brain’s health.
5. Change Your Mindset
Above all, you should do your best to embrace aging as a natural part of life. It is inevitable, so try your best to not make aging a source of stress. Only you can embrace the gifts aging has given you.
Appreciate your friends, the things you’ve learned, the hobbies you’ve cultivated – and be thankful for the process. Age with joy, and wellness will follow!
Everyone ages. At Well Theory, we’re in the business of helping you learn how to do so with grace and poise – through our wellness products designed to revamp your well-being from the inside out, our Herbal Kitchen recipes curated to give your body the nutrients it needs to thrive, and the expert advice written here on our blog.
Dr. Meredith Warner is the creator of Well Theory and The Healing Sole. She is a board-certified Orthopedic Surgeon and Air Force Veteran.
She is on a mission to disrupt traditional medicine practices and promote betterment physically, spiritually and mentally to many more people. She advocates for wellness and functional health over big pharma so more people can age vibrantly with more function and less pain.
At Well Theory, Our surgeon-designed products are FDA Registered and formulated to help people:
- Manage the symptoms of musculoskeletal pain
- Recover vibrantly from orthopedic related surgeries
- Fill the gaps in our daily diets
- Manage pain associated with inflammation
Surgeon Formulated For Your Peace of Mind
Natural Ingredients + Cutting-Edge Medical Breakthroughs.